Taco night is a staple in our household. It’s a night that everyone looks forward to. Tacos Al Pastor is one dish we can all agree on. These tacos are made with marinated pork and fresh pineapple. This recipe uses the crockpot to make cooking super easy. Plus you’ll always have super delicious shredded pork for your tacos.
Tacos Al Pastor is a classic Mexican dish of marinated pork. Traditional versions of this recipe marinate pork in a mixture of chiles and pineapple. Then the pork is roasted on a rotisserie until done. In my version, I use chili powder and cumin with the pineapple to achieve the flavor.
This recipe uses a crockpot to slow cook the pork until it literally falls apart. The cooked pork is then shredded and added back into the cooking liquid and spices to absorb more flavor. The result is something my family loves. Yours will too!
Whether served with accompanying garnishes (listed below) for dinner or with eggs for breakfast, Tacos Al Pastor is sure to be a favorite in your house too! Serve it with fresh corn or flour tortillas for a taste that out of this world!
- Pork sirloin roast (about 2-2.5 lbs)
- Pineapple, 3/4 cup chopped fresh plus 1/2 cup of water or 8oz can of chucks with juice
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 3 Tablespoons dried cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- Fresh cilantro, lime wedges (for squeezing over meat), queso fresco, chopped jalapeno, chopped radishes, guacamole, chopped onions, pico de galo.
- Combine add ingredients from pineapple through oil into a crock pot. Stir together and add pork roast. Spoon some of the liquid/spices over the roast now and occasionally during cooking.
- Cover and cook on high until meat is fork tender (about 5 hours).
- When roast is falling apart, take out of crock pot and shred with 2 forks. Return the shredded pork to crock pot and combine with spices and broth. Keep warm until ready to use.
- To make tacos, place desired amount of shredded pork on a tortilla. Add desired toppings and enjoy.
Do you have Taco Night at your house? What types of tacos does your family like? Let me know in the comments below.
Make your own tortillas and salsa with one of these easy recipes.